Food Waste Collection
RR first began collecting food scraps for composting in 2011, when commercial composting rates in Dallas were virtually non-existent. Back then, we used an old Ford Ranger to collect 5-gallon buckets from a handful of homes in the Little Forest Hills neighborhood of East Dallas.
Today, we're the leading collector of post-consumer food waste in North Texas, diverting close to 150 tons per month from local landfills on behalf of Dallas-Fort Worth's most environmentally-responsible businesses, including several leading hotels, restaurants, and companies.
Recycling food may still seem like an odd concept to many, but it's become an increasingly popular practice here in North Texas, to the point that food products now constitute our single largest incoming stream--surpassing even the paper, plastic, and cardboard goods we collect and receive from local businesses each month.
The food we collect is retrieved with the use of a specialized vehicle, controlled for quality, and delivered locally to permitted composting operations, who create high-quality, certified-Organic compost. That product is marketed to local wholesalers and retailers, ultimately making its way back to our homes to help us grow new life in North Texas.
Who Can Compost?
In a word, everyone! If your business regularly disposes of food, the chances are pretty good we can compost it. RR's current food waste collection Clientele includes:
- Restaurants & bars
- Juice bars & coffee shops
- Food processors & distributors
- Corporate campuses
- and more
- Fruits & Vegetables (i.e. Produce)
- Grains & Carbohydrates
- Candy & Sweets
- Powders (e.g. energy drinks, sugars & spices, cocoa, etc.)
- Compostable utensils, plates, to-go ware, and bags
How It Works
All of the hallmarks of our award-winning Recycling Collection service for businesses apply to our Food Waste Collection program, too:
- Free optional evaluation & assessment to help identify your business's composting and logistical needs
- Highly customizable service: build your program (or let us help you build it!) by selecting the containers, materials, and schedule that work best for your business:
- Identify the type(s) of food waste you'd like to compost
- Pick the container(s) you'd like us to collect
- Our standard collection unit for food waste is the 65-gallon container, but other options are available
- Choose from weekly, twice per week, three times per week, and daily pick-up schedules; or arrange for periodic "one-time" pick-ups
- Due to odors (especially in the Texas summer!), RR does not offer regular food waste pick-ups less than once per week
- On-site, on-demand educational orientations and tours of our Center to help keep your staff engaged and motivated to recycle
- Yearly audit reports to detail the metrics vital to your program: dates, weights, contamination rates, carbon savings, and more
- The best contracts in the business
- For service industry customers (bars, restaurants, hotels, caterers) that compost with us, automatic inclusion on #RaiseTheBar's "The List"
- Flexibility: schedule extra pick-ups and/or change the details of your program with just a simple call or email
Extras (Additional fees may apply)
- Arrange for periodic one-time pick-ups of materials like e-waste, batteries, light bulbs as desired; or organize seasonal Drives (e.g. book Drives, e-waste drives, etc.) at your workplace
- Colorful in-house signage to keep your program visible, vibrant, and effective
- Additional "in-house" containers to help make your program more convenient and efficient
For more information about our Compost Collection Program, please call us at 214.566.3025 or leave us a message here.